Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Hike

I tried something different with this picture and used my new studio set up to paint (see below).  First, I was used Canson Montvale watercolor block on a table top easel instead of painting on a flat surface. Second, I finally used fresh paint from the tube, instead of dried paint in a travel set.

The point of the painting was to work fast and rough (still need to get better flicking paint and water onto the paper) and not worry about details.  The final result was quite satisfying.

                                     Watercolor on 140lbs watercolor block 9x12

Here is my new set up, with the watercolor block (it is bound on all four sides which prevents curling of the paper and the need to tape it down), table top easel and the porcelain butcher tray.   I had to adjust the lighting but I am quite happy with how my studio is starting to take shape.

                                                          The Set Up

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Waterfall at Duke's Brook -- Duke Farms

We took a day's hike at Duke Farms, learning about butterflies and moths and flora or all kind, especially native caterpillar food plants.  On the walk back to the orientation center I stopped at the little waterfall at Duke's Brook to paint.  I have been wanting to find local places to paint, and this 2,700 acre estate and park is right in my backyard.  This little waterfall is one of the signature locations in the Farm.  Normally, there is water generally cascading down the darker rocks, but now in the mid-Fall there was no water.  I think this is a place I need to go back and paint when there is snow on the ground and then again in the Spring.

                                          Watercolor on paper 5.5x8.25

I am starting to become comfortable with new paints and the Pocket Palette (and its smaller size).  I love smooth washes and the ability to layer color.  What I like most about this travel catch, it is a much different color palette than my other previous works.  

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Equine in the Fall -- Redux

Well, this one. . .I am excited about. Using the Daniel Smith paints has certainly been eye opening. I was able to do a light under wash and then layer color on top once the first wash dried (much like I do with pastels).  The result is so much closer to what I have been attemping to achieve.  The horse was masked using liquid latex and painted with a rigger brush.

I still used the Pocket Palette (ie dried paints) and even though it is fun to use, I will try using fresh out of the tube paint on subsequent paintings now that I just bought a porcelain butcher's tray (ie, palette).

                                       Watercolor on 200lbs paper 10x14

So, I have been accused of painting three legged horses. And well. . .

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Somewhere, Rocky Mountains

I really did not have a plan for the sky, or more specifically the pink clouds with their touches of darkness within, they just kind of happened.  Not sure how I feel about that.  The foreground with touched up with a hint of Unison pastels to bring out the highlights in the grass. 

                                              Watercolor on paper 10x7